DeCal Board Internship
About the Course:
The DeCal (short for Democratic Education at Cal) Program is one of Cal's largest student-run organizations, with over 200 facilitators and 7000 students participating in DeCal courses each semester. The DeCal internship gives you the opportunity to join the student board that helps maintain this outstanding program.
As an intern, you will help implement and plan the numerous projects that maintain the DeCal program every semester (or even start one of your own projects!). No previous experience with DeCal is required.
New interns can choose to take the internship for units (1-2) or join the Board as a volunteer. Here's what you will gain by joining the DeCal Board:
- Strong leadership skills: Through better understanding of the dynamics of group learning environments and the connection between learning and education administration, you will gain the confidence and ability to lead and work in other, in particular education, organizations.
- New friends and peers with unique perspectives: DeCal facilitators are among the top students on campus. We also regularly have contacts with people outside of Berkeley’s community. Just last year, administrator and student representatives from Brown University, Rice University, Columbia University, and Oberlin College (just to name a few) met with us to discuss their version of student taught courses at their respective universities. Other people we meet with regularly are top people in their fields and are very understanding of the need to provide quality opportunities to people our age.
- Academic credit for your work: DeCal Board members receive 1-2 units of credit for their work with DeCal. It is an enormously rewarding leadership opportunity.
- Responsibility in a major non-profit organization: DeCal is the largest student-run educational organization in the country, with over 7,000 students enrolled in close to 200 classes each semester.
- An understanding of the factors that underly historical movements for social change: On the DeCal Board, we believe that students have great power when they come together. History of social change on the Berkeley campus has shown what a powerful force for change students can be.
- The opportunity to create your own projects: Because of the breadth of the organization, there is a lot of opportunity for you be creative. In DeCal you can leverage your talents to help improve the student experience at Berkeley and contribute to changing the overall perception of education on a national level. Created by students, the DeCal Board is consierably accommodating so that you can have a great time while learning and performing a lot of high-quality and meaningful work.
How to Enroll:
The application deadline has passed. Please apply next semester.
THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS SATURDAY AUGUST 25 @ NOON PST.
After the application is filled, we will interview a select few at the beginning of next semester. An e-mail will be sent regarding this so keep a look out!
Time & Location:
|Board Meetings||DeCal Program||20||83 Dwinelle||TuTh 7p-8p||8/28||full||—|
|There are no files uploaded.|
Course info last modified August 26, 2012. This page has been viewed 3565 times.